Tuesday, May 20, 2008

My fascination of the martial arts started when I was about 10 years old. In 1966, a TV show called "The Green Hornet" aired on channel 7. Back in those days we only had 7 channels to pick from and nothing worth watching was on channel 13 , so I guess we only had 6 channels. Our family made due with one TV set and, for all you kids reading this, there was no remote control at the time. Which reminds me of an old "Married with Children " skit, where Budd and Kelly were sitting on the couch trying to turn the TV on with the remote control. It wasn't working, so they sat there trying and trying to turn the TV on ...finally Budd said to Kelly "Dad once told me that you could actually turn the TV on if you got up and went to the TV and pushed the button. Needless to say Kelly argued with him, called him stupid, and said it wouldn't work. When Budd pushed the button and the TV went on, a sarcastic smile came over his face and Kelly sat there with this bewildered look on her face. I guess you would have to see the show to get the full effect. Getting back to the story, I became fascinated with one of the main characters. The character's TV name was Kato but we all know him as Bruce Lee, who became a great martial artist and silver screen icon. Kato was "the man", no one was able to touch this guy. The show was great, I couldn't get enough of this action but to my chagrin in 1967 they cancelled the show. How could they do this to me!!! This was my favorite show, I was 10 and couldn't understand. I became obsessed with finding out about this so called "karate." But being a ten year old and growing up in a baseball family, the sport of baseball took up the void left by the Green Hornet. This lasted until 1972 when I got bitten by the martial arts bug again. Finally, another show about martial arts was aired and it became my favorite show. It was called "Kung Fu" starring David Carradine. This guy didn't have the flash of Kato but he kicked butt in a more gentle way, that was cool too!!! I had to learn this stuff, the passion was back. I had my father enroll me in Frank Ryan's School of Self Defense on Gun Hill Road in the Bronx. Most of the time, since there was only one car in the family, I had to hop on the #16 bus to get to class but that was a small price to pay to learn how to be a Kung Fu "fighting machine." The first time I walked into his school I should of known something was up but I was too naive at the time. Frank Ryan's school was the only school close to where I lived, so the formal training began. When I walked into the school for the first time I thought I was walking into the Shaolin Temple. The school had a fragrance I was unfamiliar with, a hint of incense was in the air. A beaded curtain separated the training floor with the outside world. Emerging from the back, in this finely pressed white gi, was the man who would teach me all the secrets of the martial arts, a man who knew how to rip a man's heart out with his bare hands, a man who possessed all the knowledge that I was seeking, Master Frank Ryan. Lets see, .......how do I describe Frank Ryan. He had an Elvis Presley 50's hair do and long mutton chop sideburns, a finely trimmed goatee that I remembered seeing somewhere? That's when I realized he looked like the pictures of the devil I saw while attending St. Barnabas Church on a Sunday mornings. He reached out to shake my 16 year old hand with a big hello smile and I noticed that he had a ring on every finger, hmm.... I thought that was a little odd, (maybe he likes jewelery ?). He led me past the beaded curtain to the main part of the school to get my uniform and patches. He opened a closet and picked out a uniform for me, it was like I was receiving my first Holy Communion. I thought this uniform would bring me the martial art power ; I sought to be indestructible. He then showed me where to change. The dressing room was small, about the size of a "old telephone booth". I didn't care, I was in the inner sanctuary. Besides, in the old Superman comics Clark Kent dressed in a telephone booth. When I put that uniform on, I felt just like Superman. I was in such awe of this man that would reveal the secrets to me that I really didn't notice the actual size of the training area. I emerged from this closet to find that the school, wasn't much bigger than my room at home maybe 15 feet x10 feet. Where was everyone else going to fit , I thought?.... After a few minutes a couple of other students arrived. One guy whose name was Gary, a bearded, hippy looking guy, wearing a bandanna, a left over from the 60's. A kid named Eddie Goodwin, a small, thin black kid wearing a black gi and brown belt and a few other students. Before I got my bearings Master Frank Ryan called the class to attention. We all lined up by rank against the back wall, the white belts were first in line. I awkwardly got in line but I was missing one piece of vital equipment....my cup. Master Frank Ryan walked towards me, but I noticed something was a little different. That the smile he greeted me with previously, not more than fifteen minutes ago, had left his face. He was now resembling the picture of the devil that is hanging on the wall of St. Barnabas Church. The next thing I knew...BAM, I didn't see it coming........I was on the floor grabbing my groin after being struck, in the most sensitive part of a man's body by this 230 pound karate master. I guess he taught me my first lesson in self defense, never let a man who looks like Satan, that close to you. After going down the line to other students who, by the way, were wearing their cups, I composed myself, somewhat, for the rest of the class. Recovering from the shot to my lower extremity, we started the exercises. At the time I thought I was in pretty good shape , boy was I wrong. In 1972 there was no such thing as cushy Swain Mats. We must of done 100 forward and 100 backward karate push-ups...... on our knuckles. Then came the regular push-ups,...... with one special twist. I guess Master Frank Ryan got a little tired watching us do about 200 push ups so he sat down......on my back. I struggled to lift my body plus about 230 pounds of his dead weight, off the hard tiled floor. As I fell to the ground exhausted and out of breath, I laid there wondering whether or not I was going to die during my first karate lesson. Wouldn't that suck!! Here I am a 16 year old kid, weighing about a buck twenty with a grown man on my back doing push-ups. Oh, I forgot to tell you that it was summer time and it was about 90 degrees outside and I can't even begin to tell you the temperature inside with all those sweaty students. After the push-ups came the punches from horse stance. One of the brown belts, Eddie Goodwin, had this real freaky flexible body so he could get real low and do his punches. So Master Ryan expected everyone to get that low. After 100 punches my thighs were burning. Then came the real torture. He had a partner climb up on your thighs from the rear and stand on your thighs, and I have to tell you , some of those students weren't exactly light weights. The pain was excruciating. I think Vince Lombardi said something like " What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." I was just praying to survive this hour. Next came the kicking drills, 500-1000 wheel kicks were not unusual. Finally the class was winding down. After all the exercises, punches, kicks, came the sparring. I became fresh meat for the brown belts and they proceeded to give me my second lesson of the day: if you don't know what you are doing with your hands and legs you should not spar. I think they had mercy on me that day since it was my first day and I was able to limp down to the bus for the ride home. When I got home my father asked me "how was class?" I barely had enough energy to tell him "Yeah Dad...it was great." I didn't want him to know that I got my butt kicked the first day and had a lot to learn. My next step was to get some information about how these guys kicked my butt so I asked my mother to bring me to the book store in Cross County. When I entered the store I immediately went to the sports section and picked up Bruce Tegner Book of Self Defense, a paperback book with 223 pages of martial arts mayhem. I was sure that this book was going to help me from getting my butt kicked. I went home and devoured the material. Next time, I thought, "I will be prepared for class." This was the start of my martial arts journey and I became hooked on this mystical art of combat. So far it has lasted 42 years........the story continues..........

44 comments:

signalssent said...

I remenber this well I was their at the same time and have the same memories of the school.

jojolou456 said...

I went to frank ryan in 1983 when he was at the polish community center in yonkers and he did the cup checks and torturous workouts and belt whips!I miss them days

sensei ed said...

Hi signalssent and jojolou456 I appreciate your descriptions of the old dojo at the 336 e.gun hill rd. & at the polish comm center. Thanks for taking me down memory lane. Do you remember our dojo mates Gary A., Mike Mac., Paul C., Tony Mac., Ralph T., Evans B., Dom B., Dr.Jeff? Would you like to continue this correspondence, If so you can reach me at goodwinjr@aol.com. I hope to hear from you.

Take Care,
Eddie Goodwin


PS: KUNIGOSHAI

Gina Agosta said...

I also went to Frank Ryan's Kunigoshai in the '70s. It is a very well described article. I enrolled after attending a previous school for many years. I was one of the few females who attended. In the Bronx, in those days, you had to take a beating!!!
I remember Gary and you, Eddie and your Katas...very intense. Nice to have a flashback of the old days.

fingerfootmusic said...

Man, talk about flashback! I attended somewhere between 1982-84. That dude was sadistic wasn't he? I went there after we moved from the Fordham Road area. I used to study with Tiger Kim. He was a pussycat compared to Frank Ryan.

I remember getting hit by a taxi one afternoon on my way to class, and he made me work out anyway!

joeyzapp said...

I remember Frank Ryan well. I was from Arther ave, and i think i was 13 or 15, it was in the 70's. i remeber having to yell out "OOOSSE" before entering the do jo, there were mirrors all around, and the do-jo was very small . we worked out in Ranks. high, medium low, we would throw the punches on his command, in a horse stance. i rember in the corner, by our small locker rooms he had a heavy bag "not your usal heavy bag" and would swing it so high and let it crash into his chest. i had a buddy there, and we got cought smoking pot, between the cars of the subway, the cops call my mom, then my mom told "sense" ryan. holy shit me and the other kid who i was smoking with, got the work out of our lives, he always had a hard rouiten, but i think he was trying to kill me. he had alot of clases, and i rember a blond haired girl, and he had us spar, and i didnt want to fight her, she was bigger "and a girl" and had a green belt to my yellow, well i got a punch in and bloddied her nose, a lucky shot. I stayed about 6 months, then i started hanging out at arther ave park, worse thing i ever did fucking nighborhood, well i joined navy a few years after."a good thing". I wish i would have stayed in that do-jo, sense Ryan was a good " I think he called his style KUNAGOSHY, I could be wrong, if any 1 else remebers that let me know

Edward Goodwin said...

Thanks for all your commets about days training at 336 E.Gunhill Rd. where the Late Grand master Frank Ryan instructed us.I can be reached at goodwinjr@verizon.net or Edward Goodwin on face book. I hope to hear from you, and Take Care !!!!

hbrennan said...

I was a Frank Ryan student as well. I certainly remember Eddie (who was just getting his 3rd degree brown belt, at the time (black with a white stripe down the middle)and Gary, as well. Interesting times

Henry
henrybrennan@hotmail.com

hbrennan said...

I was a Frank Ryan student as well. I certainly remember Eddie (who was just getting his 3rd degree brown belt, at the time (black with a white stripe down the middle)and Gary, as well. Interesting times

Henry
henrybrennan@hotmail.com

Unknown said...

They were interesting times truly

Unknown said...

Joey Z that girl's name was Terry

Unknown said...

That's because Kyoshi Frank Ryan was a no nonsense instructor

Keith said...

Hello, I was reading about Bruce Lee on the net and thought out of curiosity to look up Frank Ryan to see if there was any articles on him. I was surprised to find that post regarding that persons desire to learn martial arts. Was that person Edward Goodwin ? Anyway I attended Frank Ryan's school on Gun Hil Rd in 1970.I was in 7 th grade at Olinville Jr High School.
I do not remember any of my fellow students names though.I do remember the display of swords & knifes in the front and the white pads mounted on the back wall used for punching & kicking.Students would be responsible to purchase bundles of square pine wood boards for us to break.Master Ryan broke one of those boards over my head during a class.He used to count in Japanese from 1 to 10 when we did push ups. I think My classes were on Tuesdays and Thursdays in the early evening. I made it to yellow belt . I dropped out shortly after that. My name is Keith

Psychlones said...

I studied at Frank Ryan's School from 1967 to 1969 when I went away to college. Prior to that I had studied Judo. I freelanced as a photographer and took some shots which he used in some of his flyers. I vividly recall a hot Saturday in July and one of the students (thankfully not me) complained about slipping in his perspiration during a workout session. Frank said very simply: your choice - you can slip in your own perspiration here... or slip in your own blood, fighting for your life, out on the street. His advice has served me well. Thank you all for the memories.

Anonymous said...

eddie its been a long time I remember you mark Mayfield dom Anthony McDowell like it was yesterday I spent many years in frank ryans as a matter of fact you and terry were blue belts and she beat me up this is ralph t my e mail is ralpht1959@gmail.com feel free to contact me

Unknown said...

I have an article about you that i found in my grandmother's things when she passed away. I believe the article is from 1979.

Unknown said...

Thanks again Dojo mates for your recollections of our Dojo days gone past. The tough training we endured at 336 Gunhill Rd. The tournaments that GM Aaron Banks,GM Gary Alexander,hosted,attending the Oriental World of Self Defense at Madison Square Garden. Those were great times in deed, If you like to reach out to me you can do so on Facebook or e1r9g60@outlook.com

Grace & Peace Eddie

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I was just reminiscing about my youth in the mid to late 80's during my days with Shidoshi Frank Ryan. So I googled his name and saw this blog. Even though it was written nearly 9 years ago I wanted to thank you for the story and share a quick story of my own. Now I don't know how my late father found out about Frank Ryan or his classes but he signed me up and I ended up training with him for 4 years every Saturday morning for 3 hours at the Presbyterian Church on the corner of Walnut and Elm Street in Yonkers.

I remember my very 1st day and I was around 11 years old at the time. Unfortunately, I was late and it was because I didn't know what the hell I was doing or where I was going and I couldn't even figure how to get into the church. I first tried the front of the actual church by the big doors knocking and looking for anybody. The doors to the sanctuary were obviously locked. Eventually I slowly worked my way around to the back parking lot and saw a grown man just getting out of his car. He saw me with my duffel bag and he asked if I was there for Karate class and I said yes so I followed him down some stone steps and through this back door. A door I would have never known about if not for this guy.

Well anyway I'm finally inside the church but not in the sanctuary, I guess the Parish Hall. Class had already started and everybody (all adult men, there were no women and only one other kid around my age, his name was Eddie) and they were all lined up. Everyone was standing at attention with heels touching and feet spread at 90 degree angles and arms held slightly up with hands balled into fists. So I'm instructed to line up front he has Eddie show me how to yell "OOOSE" and bow. So I do this and keep in mind this is my very 1st impression, very 1st time meeting Frank Ryan. I yelled OOSE and bowed next thing I know...WHACK!! I get hit HARD on the back of my head with a giant gold ring with a huge cone shaped piece of jade that he later told me he got as a gift from Elvis. He says "Don't be late again". Looking back I remember it hurting enough to make me cry, but I didn't. I was more in shock than anything. That was the first, last and only time I was ever late to his class...

I remember all the crazy stuff and dirty jokes he used to talk about during our classes. Yeah his classes were rough but it was a great experience and he was a fun guy on his good days. But on his bad days you knew not to F*** up and work out extra hard. I only wish when my kids are old enough I could send them to a class like his. It definitely helped me in life especially through Middle and High School.
-Dustin

Anonymous said...

I also studied at the Polish Center from 1982-1984. This post brought me fond memories. He also told me that a script of his life was purchased and he was upset with the changes. That movie was "Bloodsport". He told me this long before filming started. I'm glad to know that the style did not die, although I did try to track him down. I sadly just read that he has passed away. I always promised him when he was alive that I'd visit his grave. This style saved me from some tough situations, so, I'm bothered that Kyoshi Ryan hasn't received a higher level of recognition.

Uzz,

Michael Golpe

Elite Defensive Tactics Martial Arts Academy said...

I have a video of Frank Ryan if anyone is interested.

Unknown said...

Your welcome that was Grand Master Frank Ryan. He has made a profound impact and investment in my life!!!

Unknown said...

Dustin thanks for sharing, I was put through the ringer too, it wasn't always apples, peaches and pumpkin pie for me. But Sensei Quo, and Sensei Mark took me under their wing. They shared with me what Grand Master Ryan expected of me. Thanks again Dustin for helping me relive those days, for me the best of times. I truly miss my dojo brothers and sisters. If you or anyone would like to reach out to me. goodwinjr@aol.com or Pastor Edward Goodwin on Facebook. I hope to hear from you soon!!!

Unknown said...

Greetings Michael thank you for sharing that I would like to pay my respects and visit Kyoshi Ryan's grave. Would you send the address and location of where he was laid to rest. I would really appreciate it if you would please.

Unknown said...

I am interested in Kyoshi Ryan's video.

Anonymous said...

I also would love to see the video. I do not know where Kyoshi is buried, but I also want to pay my respects.

Unknown said...

Thank you Michael I was under the impression that you knew where Kyoshi Ryan was buried.
God bless you and your family!!!

Elite Defensive Tactics Martial Arts Academy said...

Frank Ryan is buried at Gate of Heaven Cemetery in Valhalla.

Eric " Herb" Hernandez said...

Thanks for sharing all of those memories, I just did a mini time travel! Great workouts!
I was there 1971 to 1973;after that I went into the MC, and workout with a few black belts from Okinawan Kempo for a few years.
I just found a picture, at my mother's house taken at the Dojo,and the Aug 1975 magazine that Sensei Ryan had a long article in, great memories! Eric "Herb" Hernandez

Anonymous said...

I was a student in the Polish community center back in the 80s and I’m still a lifelong martial artist. Frank used to abuse the shit out of his students in all fashions. He had a very dark side no one seems to mention here. By today’s standards he would’ve gotten locked up many times over. He was narcissistically entitled man coupled with extreme pervasiveness, Egocentric and manipulative. Though I did learn one or two valuable things in his class. Most importantly how not to treat people. RIP

Eric " Herb" Hernandez said...

Yes, I agree with everything you said; but, we all new who he was. He was real, as far as I can remember, I don't think he pretended to be someone else...I knew him from Gun Hill Rd; and I remember once sparring with a 6'-4" about 220 lbs State Trooper in his 30's, and I was 15, 145 lbs. He put the State Trooper in the middle and asked for a volunteer; even though I was a green belt at the time, I was the highest ranking belt that evening, and for everyone that took classes from Sensei Ryan, I had to get on that circle. When well for a minute, threw my best spinning kick , and whammm
got hit on the ear, and down the floor I went; he looked at me on the floor, and said " I told you to keep your hands up when you spin around!" Went to the hospital, the ear would not stop ringing; following week I chose to come back... He was good at what he did, and I respected him for that! Thanks for sharing everyone!
P.S. Does anyone has any Katas in paper format?

Unknown said...

Now that's the Frank Ryan that I knew. O was his first student on Gunhill Rd. I studies there when Paul Vitola was his assistant from 1970 thru 1972 until I entered the USMC Joe Ingicco and met at the dojo and are still brothers to this day. Bill McGuinnis

Paddy boy said...

I was a student and later a friend to Sensei Ryan. I was there from 1982 to 84I believe. When he first came up to Yonkers he lived on Stone ave off Lockwood. One of the neighborhood a-holes had a foul mouth so in a liquor store on the hill Frank jumped and kicked the ceiling tile out, this load mouth kid shut right up lol. Thats when I signed up and about 4 other buddies and he liked us because we were fighters to begin with. I was taught in the Polish CC and I remember Eddie real well. Smaller than me and Frank would put us in the circle and make us fight . I was blocking most of Eddies punches and kicks but that all ended when I tried to go on the offense! Eddie ripped me up but afterwards he was always a gentleman!! After class we would go down to the bar that was in the polish CC and Frank would buy us beers and we would have a blast. I remember sitting int he bar and Frank looked like Wolfman Jack and some guy was giving him a dirty look so Frank said to "watch this " he then put a cigarette out on his knuckle while giving the guy the stare...fkn funny's that guy shit himself and left
I remember he had a son but never seen him in my classes and dont know what ever happened to his family after his passing. Frank came to my fathers funeral and I never had the chance to pay my respects to Frank,,He was the best!!! I had a couple of magazines im try to find as I am posting this If Eddie or Joe see this post I say hello guys and I hope all is well with you both and RIP Mr.Frank Ryan Redbelt!!!

Sensei Tony S said...

Funny to come across this blog. I too was a student and I also had the pleasure of being an instructor for Kyoshi Frank Ryan. I am seeing some great comments here that brought back a lot of memories. Especially Sensei Eddie. I remember sparring with Eddie when he would bring his students up from Pennsylvania. He was a true bad A$$. Bruce Lee had nothing on Eddie. LOL. I would manage to get some good shots in on him, but he quickly made me regret them with some power blows of his own.
I also remember Sensei Paul Campbell as well. He was a great fighter. Frank had a way of cultivating great fighters in his classes. I remember the days of the Polish Center, the Church in Yonkers, the Yonkers PAL when we began training with the Golden Gloves guys, and I remember training at the White plains Youth Center. Gun Hill Road was just a bit before my time but I heard stories about his Dojo there. I also remember the tournaments and the long sweaty workouts where he would crank up the heat just in case we weren't sweating enough.
It is good to hear about the past great times we all had and the impact that the Martial Arts had on our lives. I would love to see this video that was mentioned in a past blog post. Perhaps I may be on it as well and I can show my kids what I was like back in my Prime.

I wish all of you a great life. A Safe Life. Perhaps I had the chance to teach some of you as well. RIP Frank.

If anyone wishes to reminice, or maybe has this video that was mentioned, my email is sharkdiver1@yahoo.com.

Sincerely,

Sensei Tony

Unknown said...

I remember Eddie he was great but I was a 14 girl so I’m not sure if he was one of Ryan lions. This man raped me and many young girls 14 or less and He took me to his and wife joans house on tuckahoe! He’s a pig and sorry he didn’t go to jail !

Unknown said...

I was there in 1976 and he did pretty much the same! He had me clean the dojo to lower the price my fee my mother had to pay since my father died then he raped me and said if I said anything he would kill my family! What a great man! I hope he rots in hell!

Unknown said...

It’s amazing how nothing is mentioned how he raped and terrorized little girls! He was a demon!

Carl E. Reid, CSI said...

Great reading some stories about Sensei Frank Ryan teaching the Kunigoshai karate style. I was a student 1975 to 1977. I remember sparring with Eddie Green and Gary. Awesome lessons and very tough training. Sensei Ryan's methods were grueling workouts, but they saved my life few times and made me battle hardened by the time I joined the Marine Corps. Those workouts also helped me develop "Mental Toughness". Sensei Ryan repeatedly said "the body will give out before your mind does". This helped me have have a very successful career and build successful business by using mental toughness. Much continued success to everyone. I can be reached on http://Facebook.com/RunCARLRun or by email igetsmart@savvyintrapreneur.com

Carl E. Reid, CSI said...

Correction: I meant to write Eddie Goodwin, not Green. Apologies

Carl E. Reid, CSI said...

I would be interested in seeing Frank Ryan video. My email is igetsmart@savvyintrapreneur.com

Bob said...

Ryan raped a female or indeed other females???
This is serious stuff if it's true.

Bob said...

I read somewhere that Ryan in later years was actually banned from teaching martial arts and went into real estate......anyone confirm this and also what caused what body ordered his banning? A police action? The courts?

hbrennan said...

Hey Bob - I believe that the decision to place the ban on Frank Ryan had to do with his response to a mugger. I heard that it was ruled "self-defense", but I guess the response from Frank Ryan may have resulted in the ban. If so, I could believe that, since the first thing that I learned in his classes was called the 13 Techniques. These techniques taught beginning *white belts* how to blind and make an opponent deaf and then subsequently kill him in gruesome fashion. If it's true about frank Ryan, I could understand how someone with many years of martial arts training/teaching could react in an extreme manner after waiting years for the chance.

Bob said...

So by law perhaps Ryan went “over the top” and legally made him the aggressor? I’m in Australia so laws in regard to self defence could be quite different.
Thanks for the reply ��

Kenpo Salutation Explained