Sunday, June 1, 2008

I practically ate that karate book my mother bought for me. I was sure that the next time I practiced I would be ready for anything. Little did I know, how wrong I would be. My second class started the same as the last. Master Ryan bellowed "Line Up." I got in line with all the rest of the students wearing my new uniform with a fresh Kungoshai Patch. The last beating I got was a distant memory. We lined up, and Master Ryan came down the line. "Ha! Ha!" I thought, "He wasn't going to get me this time!" I was prepared, I was protected, I was wearing my cup! As I prepared for the shot to my most private of parts, he suddenly changed his angle of approach and, Wham! I took this shot right in the solar plexus. Not being able to catch my breath I thought, "This sucks, I read that whole book, and I still can't defend myself. What a waste of time. " As I stood their doubled over in pain, I figured..... "I'm going to need an ambulance to take me to (what was then called) Miseracordia Hospital." It was located on 233rd Street in the Bronx. They changed the name a while back to Our Lady of Mercy. I guess the name of the hospital sounded too much like the word misery or miserable. To tell you the truth, I wouldn't bring my worst enemy to that hospital. Anyway, by the time I recovered from the pain, Master Ryan had made his way down the line to the other students. They were all standing perfectly still after getting their "hello" punch. I didn't get it. Maybe he felt bad after he hit me? Maybe he got tired after expending all his energy on my body? I didn't know, heck I was only sixteen at the time, what did I know. "Spread out" he commanded. I looked up and I realized that Master Ryan looked just like a popular DJ at the time, Wolfman Jack. Could it be that they were the same guy? Sorry guys , I was trying to take my mind off the pain that was just inflicted on me. Many questions raced through my young mind. I was a bit confused. Will I be killed.... learning how to defend myself from being killed? HUH? Maybe this karate, kung fu, self defense master doesn't like me or maybe this is a test. I knew that Caine from the TV show "Kung Fu" was tested by his teachers. "That's it," I thought, "this is the 108 man 'Chamber of Death.' I will survive this test. " The class continued, and like last class 100's of push-ups, sit-ups, leg raisers, and then came another bit of torture, the stretching. I don't know about you, but I am not the most flexible guy in the world. We maneuvered ourselves into a split position, and it was my misfortune to have Eddy Goodwin directly in front of me. Eddy was this kid with amazing talent and flexibility. He was just sitting on the floor in a full split and it looked so comfortable that I swear he could've had breakfast, lunch, and dinner, in that position. I looked up to see where Master Ryan was, and to my dismay he was heading my way. With my legs out in front of me in a V position, Master Ryan must've thought I was resting from the previous exercises and decided I wasn't stretching properly so he gave me a little help....again this 230 lb man sat on my back to help me get closer to the floor, just like Eddy. Thanks Eddy!!!! As my body was trying to resist ripping every muscle in my groin the phone rang. I was hoping it was my mother, calling to tell me that I had to come home because of some family emergency, anything to get out of this situation. No such luck, there was a clock in the room but you didn't want to get caught looking at it; the classes lasted 1hour and 30 minutes. I estimated I had about 45 minutes to survive my second class. Sparring was next and just like the first class I got my butt handed to me. I got home and my mom asked me where I've been and I told her, "karate class" and she said, " Why are you doing that for?" How could she understand that I was becoming a human weapon. The story continues.........

No comments:

Kenpo Salutation Explained