Monday, August 11, 2008

As sophomore season began we had a coaching change, Mike Dorney replaced John Houlihan, which was a good thing because Mike Dorney was also the gym teacher and he was fond of his football players and gave us preferential treatment( if there was such a thing at The Mount.) My mentor Hugh Glassey was still our other coach and that gave me the edge at wide receiver. As the football season began we stared to win some games and I think we won our first 3 games. We had championship dreams. The QB Kevin and I were clicking on all cylinders we were scoring at will and our defense was holding teams down. Sophomore year was also a tough year, we had to take Geometry (who in the heck was going to use this), Spanish (it was a good thing our kicker George Girata was in that class that year or we all would of failed Spanish. We developed this code when we had to take a test. I am not going to reveal the code because it probably is still in use at The Mount. We were always on edge when George would be absent, we prayed that Brother wouldn't throw a pop quiz at us or we would all be screwed. This was he same year, Sammy DePaolo's, (my best friend to this day), step-brother Stevie was caught in the library by Brother (No one knew his real name so we just called him Brother Library) copying phony draft cards, he got thrown out of school. That also put a crimp in the cash flow of my friend so we had to find alternate avenues of revenue. We always had this entrepreneurial side to us in high school. Money was hard to come by so sometimes we had to improvise to stay ahead. I had to survive on two dollars a day. That was my allowance. That would buy you two hot dogs, french fries, something to drink and a snack. During this time of our lives and with this type of diet you could imagine how many pimples we had on our faces. Stridex, Clearsil, Alcohol could not hold back the onslaught of acne. Our only saving grace was that there were no girls in or school or this would of been a fate worse that death. As the football season wore on we lost a few games and and won a few more , I think we wound up at 5-3, not the championship we envisioned but better that last year. As the school year continued we started to prepare for finals. Right after the year ended my family was going to take a trip to Vegas and I invited Sammy to come, but there was one hitch, Sammy needed at least 65 on the Math regents. If he didn't get that mark or better he was headed to summer school and no Vegas for Sammy. I remember taking that final in The Mount's Gym. It was about 100 degrees in that place and we had a lot riding on this test. If Sammy didn't pass I would of got stuck going with my parents and little brother, that would be no fun. The test ended and we meet outside and I asked Sammy how he did, he told me it didn't look good....no Elvis. no Follies Berger, no jackpots. We were only 15 at the time but we had visions of gambling, girls, and money in our heads. We had to wait a week before Mr. Ciola would mark the test. To make matters worse, Sammy wasn't Mr. Ciolo's favorite student, if you get my drift. That was the longest week of our lives . Finally Sammy was notified that he got a 64 and 1/2. What the heck did that mean ? By the rules Ciola had to give him a 65......Viva Las Vegas......Viva Las Vegas......Viva, Viva, Las Vegas!!!!!!!.

No comments:

Kenpo Salutation Explained